tablet , film-coated , green , scored , round round
Each tablet contains: 27mg Iron, 1mg Folic Acid, and 50mg Docusate Sodium White, oval scored tablet with ?ML 160? on one side and plain on the other
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Foltabs Prenatal is a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, and stool softener combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements. The stool softener helps prevent constipation that may occur with iron products.
* you are allergic to any ingredient in Foltabs Prenatal
* you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism) or Wilson disease (a disorder of copper metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Foltabs Prenatal . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
* if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
* if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
* if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or peptic ulcer
* if you have kidney problems (eg, kidney stones)
* if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Foltabs Prenatal . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
* Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, captopril), eplerenone, or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) because high blood potassium levels may be increased
* Chloramphenicol because it may decrease Foltabs Prenatal 's effectiveness
* Aluminum salts, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Foltabs Prenatal
* Doxycycline, methyldopa, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Foltabs Prenatal .
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Foltabs Prenatal may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
Use Foltabs Prenatal as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
* Take Foltabs Prenatal by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
* Take Foltabs Prenatal by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
* Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Foltabs Prenatal .
* Avoid taking Foltabs Prenatal with dairy products they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Foltabs Prenatal .
* If you take bisphosphonates (eg, etidronate), cephalosporins (eg, cefdinir), quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, minocycline), thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), or thrombopoietin mimetics (eg, eltrombopag), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Foltabs Prenatal .
* If you miss a dose of Foltabs Prenatal , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Foltabs Prenatal .
Important safety information:
* Foltabs Prenatal may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
* Foltabs Prenatal has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
* PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Foltabs Prenatal is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Foltabs Prenatal , check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Foltabs Prenatal :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation dark or discolored stools diarrhea nausea stomach upset vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash hives itching difficulty breathing tightness in the chest swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue) black, tarry stools blood or streaks of blood in the stools stomach